I know it can seem confusing at first. Let's look at the differences between a Lean Protein and a Mass Gainer so you can make the best decision when it comes to selecting your protein supplement.
Do I need Protein to Build Muscle?
Protein provides the building blocks to every cell in the body. It's the most crucial macronutrient to ensure muscle growth, fuel muscle recovery and enhance physical performance. Besides the muscle building and recovery benefits, It's also used by your body to make enzymes, hormones and other body chemicals.
Benefits of Protein
- Protein is the only nutrient that actually builds muscle
- Protein creates the substances needed for muscle contraction, cardiovascular function and healing
- Without protein, our bodies will take longer and struggle to recover which leads to overtraining or injury
- A lack of protein will impact strength and size gains
- Protein is responsible for creating immune system components, hormones, enzymes, cellular messengers and nucleic acids
- Protein maintains cellular structures that make up all our tissues and organs
Why You Should Take Whey Protein
Whey protein is one of the most studied and proven supplements when it comes to building muscle, reaching your fitness goals and living a healthy lifestyle. It's considered to be the purest "complete" protein supplement in the world. It uniquely contains all nine essential amino acids including the three BCAAs (Branched-Chain-Amino Aids) which are known to assist with protein synthesis, muscle growth and prevent muscle breakdown. In addition, whey protein is the fastest absorbing protein in the world making it the best supplement to have post-workout.
Should I Take a Lean Protein or a Mass Gainer?
Mass Gainer: If your goal is to gain more weight and build muscle, you need to consume a large amount of calories. Maximus is a high quality mass gainer designed to help you gain clean muscle mass and weight. It's packed with premium whey protein along with a higher amount of carbohydrates, fats and vitamins to boost your caloric intake and give your muscles the nutrients they need to grow.
Lean Whey Protein: Tiger Milk Lean Protein is perfect for those who want to build lean muscle and lose fat. Each scoop provides your muscles with 24g of pure muscle building protein with almost zero carbs and fat. It's specifically formulated to keep your protein intake high while keeping your calories low. Tiger Milk will also help curb your appetite and help keep you full, making it easier to maintain a low calorie, fat loss diet.
Sky's protein supplements are made with superior grade whey protein for the best results. They're packed with natural vitamins, minerals and amino acids to help you reach your fitness goals in a healthy way.
- Premium natural whey protein sourced from the best USA dairy farms
- Tested for safety and purity to ensure the highest quality
- No banned substances
- No artificial fillers or harmful additives
The best time to have a protein shake
The best time to have a protein shake is immediately after a workout. Your muscles are depleted, broken down and and are starving for nutrients. By consuming a high quality protein supplement like Tiger Milk or Maximus post-workout, you're supplying your muscles with the fast digesting protein and amino acids to kickstart the growth and recovery process when your muscles need it the most.
I suggest consuming between 1g to 1.4g of protein per pound of bodyweight on a daily basis depending on the level of physical exertion you’re putting your body through. If you're cutting body fat, your protein intake should be higher than usual to prevent any muscle loss due to a limited caloric intake.
What Should I Take First?
It's important to determine where you are right now before deciding what protein supplement to use.
- If you are underweight and you struggle to gain muscle mass and weight, use Maximus during your weight gaining phase first. It will help you get high quality extra calories you need to be in a caloric surplus. Once you're happy with the amount of weight you've gained, you can switch to Tiger Milk Lean Protein to cut down your calories and reduce body fat while still preserving and building lean muscle.
- If you want to build lean muscle and lose fat (get ripped) then Tiger Milk Lean Protein is the best option to go for first. It's high protein content will prevent you from losing muscle during your cutting and will help you build lean muscle. If you feel you need to add more size and mass at a later stage or if you want improve weaker muscle groups and need the extra calorie to fuel the growth, you can switch to Maximus.
I use a combination of Tiger Milk Lean Protein and Maximus Mass Gainer depending on my goal at the moment. Building and sculpting a great physique requires a combination of gaining mass and cutting body fat over a period of time until you've reached your goal physique. Paying careful attention to your nutrition and selecting the right supplements will help you reach your goal faster.